[Web4lib] Link to Library site on College website

nancy at thesmudge.com nancy at thesmudge.com
Sun Jan 24 23:03:24 EST 2010

The academic institution where I work is redesigning its website.
Once again I am making the case for a link to the library site on the
College home page.
In part I stated:
"A link to the library website on the home page will greatly increase
students' use of scholarly materials in their research. Without a link to
the library website, many students will rely on materials that are free on
the Internet, and frequently they will be blocked from accessing scholarly
materials to which we subscibe."
I was nicely told that the College website was not for the faculty and
students. It was recruitment tool (and the library is evidently not part
of that agenda).
And yet the company designing the College website states in its Best Web
Practices document being circulated throughout the College:
"......we often describe two modes of communication in Web content:
emotional and transactional. The former is often associated with
'marketing,' and by extension traditional 'external' audiences; the latter
with current students, faculty, etc. It is our belief that too many higher
ed Web sites keep these two types of content separate; sites contain a
'marketing' area (usually the Admission section) and an 'informational'
area (often the rest of the site). We prefer an approach that integrates
the two...."

I've pretty much given up on this, but wondered if those on this list
might have some bits of wisdom on the topic.

Nancy Sosna Bohm