[Web4lib] Cites & Insights 10:2 available

Walt Crawford waltcrawford at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 19:05:16 EST 2010

Cites & Insights 10:2 (February
2010)<http://citesandinsights.info/civ10i2.pdf>is now available.

The 32-page issue (PDF as usual, with individual articles available in HTML,
using the links below) includes:
T&QT Perspective: Trends &
Forecasts<http://citesandinsights.info/v10i2a.htm>(pp. 1-16)

A heaping helping of trends, forecasts, ghosts of trends past--and
deathspotting. (No, this roundup does *not *include the Midwinter LITA Top
Tech Trends--or any other trendiness actually appearing in 2010. Maybe
later.)

Perspective: Music, Silence &
Metrics<http://citesandinsights.info/v10i2b.htm>(pp. 16-25)

Are the loudness wars mushing up your music? Maybe so. I report on the
problem with excessive dynamic compression, some steps being taken to
identify and combat the desire of producers to *MAKE IT ALL LOUD*, and two
sets of real-world metrics. If you ever really listen to music, you should
care about this issue.

Offtopic Perspective: Mystery Collection Part
1<http://citesandinsights.info/v10i2c.htm>(pp. 25-32)

Notes on the first six discs in the 250-movie, 60-disc Mystery Collection,
including half a dozen Bulldog Drummond flicks, three Dick Tracy--and eight
Sherlock Holmes. Here's a mystery: Will I keep doing *C&I* long enough to
review this entire set? That would take us into Volume 14...