[Web4lib] Mobile Technologies and Next Generation Catalogs: LITA Next Generation Catalog Interest Group at ALA Boston

Ray Schwartz schwartz at panix.com
Mon Jan 11 16:26:58 EST 2010

LITA NGCIG Meeting at ALA Boston: Mobile Technologies and Next Generation
Catalogs

The LITA Next Generation Catalog Interest Group will meet on Sunday,
January 17, 10:30 a.m. - Noon.

BCEC-Room 104A/B

A brief IG business meeting and vote for a chair-elect will precede the
presentation and discussion.

We will have a presentation and discussion on the development and
application of mobile interfaces to catalog systems.  In addition to the
presentation, attendees are welcomed and encouraged to briefly present
their mobile design strategies and techniques, and challenges posed by
mobile devices.

Libraries To Go

Holly Tomren (University of California, Irvine) Students and faculty are
always on the go. Our collections and services need to be available to
them when and where they need them. The presenter will address the special
challenges involved in providing library content and services to mobile
users in this big picture presentation. The topics will range from
offering an entire library experience to your mobile users to potential
best practices for cataloging electronic resources specific to mobile
devices. Other topics include IT issues, collection development trends,
licensing issues and gathering usage statistics. Holly will discuss some
discovery tools available, such as mobile-friendly OPACs, union catalogs,
library web pages and subject guides. We will also broach the impacts of
these issues, and consider ways in which the library can best position
itself for the mobile revolution.

See you in Boston.

--

Ray Schwartz / Chair NGCIG