[Web4lib] Local Book iPhone application

Tim Spalding tim at librarything.com
Wed Jan 6 10:59:20 EST 2010

We just released Local Books, an iPhone application that shows you
bookstores and libraries around you, as well as book events.

Blog post: http://www.librarything.com/blog/2010/01/local-books-iphone-application.php

I hesitated before posting this, because it's about something we just
released (albeit a totally free one), and the application isn't *only*
for or about libraries.

But doesn't that make it more interesting? There have been apps for
finding chain bookstores (Barnes and Noble have one), indie bookstores
(IndieBound) and for libraries (from both Gale and OCLC, discussed on
this list). Shouldn't an application that finds everything be of
*more* interest to webby librarians?

For starters, libraries should make sure they're in the database. It
is, of course, all user created. You'll probably find you were put in
by one of your most fervent patrons.

More interestingly, perhaps, the app embodies an idea. I submit that
libraries will survive in this increasingly digital age in part by
embracing two things—(1) their "local"-ness and (2) the rest of the
local world, especially bookstores. And, more than talking and
partnering with bookstores more, they need to do it online and in the
mobile world too.

I think libraries have a way to go there. It's a shame that there are
event feeds for all the chain bookstores, and for many of the
disparate independents, but none for libraries. Few libraries have
mobile interfaces. And, of course, I think WorldCat is not serving
libraries "local" needs as it really could. I can Google "pizza,
portland maine" and get all the local pizza places on a Google map,
but I can't get all the copies of a book on a map. We introduced
something like for LibraryThing.com itself, "Local Book Search." The
next step is clearly to add that to the new iPhone application.

Anyway, check it out and let me know what you think—and where
libraries are going in local search and the mobile universe.

Tim Spalding
LibraryThing Founder

--
Check out my library at http://www.librarything.com/profile/timspalding