[Web4lib] Let’s Hear It for Reckless Enthusiasm!

B.G. Sloan bgsloan2 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 3 20:26:39 EST 2010

I just read a nice opinion piece by Joe Esposito at the Scholarly Kitchen blog:

Esposito, Joe. Let’s Hear It for Reckless Enthusiasm! January 1, 2010.
http://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2010/01/01/lets-hear-it-for-reckless-enthusiasm/

The final paragraph of Joe's essay ties in nicely with the discussions we sometimes have on Web4Lib:

"And this prompts my personal reckless enthusiasm:  to build infrastructure that enables an unmediated, direct connection between scholars and scholarly materials.  For example, there is a huge need for a new order of bibliographical records, which are transparent to end-users and easily integrated into machine-to-machine communications.  Such records will be very expensive to create; no one knows how they will ultimately earn their keep.  But then I think of these telco executives shaking their heads and saying, Where is the programming going to come from? It will be there."

Bernie Sloan