[Web4lib] selecting a CMS/DAMS for a digital library

Mark Leggott mleggott at mac.com
Sat Feb 20 07:37:22 EST 2010

Thanks to Cary for mentioning Islandora. I thought I would provide a few quick updates since our website is undergoing a major change.

We are close to putting an updated version of the Islandora code on the DuraSpace and Islandora sites and it should be there by the end of the month. The Drupal contrib module will be accessible via the Drupal site hopefully later in March. We also have a number of community members that are working with us to create install packages for various operating systems and distributions, these will be made available as we get them. New cloud/VM versions (including an updated EC2 image) will also be forthcoming.

As Cary clarified in another message Islandora is an open source project that links Drupal and Fedora (http://www.fedora-commons.org/) together and does so using modular functionality we call Solution Packs. Our first Solution Pack is the Institutional Repository SP, parts of which can be seen via the VirtualBox demo and the live site http://islandscholar.ca/. This SP also provides a lot of functionality not obvious here, such as LDAP authentication, automatic conversion of various document formats to PDF, immediate indexing on ingest, multiple metadata records for each object, Dublin Core editor and integration with SHERPA/RoMEO.

The code release that I mention above will include this IR Solution Pack. Our next SP will be Books, which will be based on the functionality seen in http://islandlives.ca/. Included here is an OpenLayers J2K viewer, automated backend workflows, community tagging, TEI editor and more. Following this will be Maps, Images and Video/Audio SPs, all with features optimized for these data formats. If your institution has an interest in stewarding research data we will also be releasing SPs for specific research domains.

I can also say that we are working hard on updating the main http://islandora.ca/ site with more information. We just received major funding of $2 million to build the Islandora framework and will be working with other open source efforts to integrate a wide range of functionality into the Islandora ecosystem, so we hope to have a number of announcements in the coming months.

Since hosting was mentioned by Kelly I should also mention that we are providing hosting services for the Islandora stack as well as installation services and support and I would happy to respond to questions about these offline.

Mark