[Web4lib] Bulk SMS services

Gair Helfrich ghelfrich at aclsys.org
Tue Feb 9 11:45:19 EST 2010

Lori,

We've been part of a pilot project run by the New Jersey State Library.  You can read about it here: http://nancydowd.wordpress.com/2009/10/18/mobile-marketing/ and here: http://www.mobilemarketer.com/cms/sectors/nonprofits/4686.html . There are several libraries throughout the state participating in it.

We've had trouble getting folks to sign up for it as have at least some of the other libraries involved. What we hear is that our users would rather have SMS tell them they have a book on hold or they have overdues rather than get a reminder about programs.

Hope this helps,
Gair
Gair Helfrich, MLS
Supervising Librarian
Information and Technical Services Manager
Atlantic County Library
40 Farragut Avenue
Mays Landing, NJ 08330
609-625-2776 ext. 6313  Fax: 609-625-8143
ghelfrich at acmail.aclink.org