[Web4lib] Friendly language

Walker, David dwalker at calstate.edu
Mon Feb 1 13:35:50 EST 2010

I think there's a difference between what you call a department or a service, and what text you put on a website to direct users to that department or service.

You might still call it the Registrar's Office, for example, but the campus portal could nevertheless have a link that says 'register for classes'.

To pick another example closer to home: you might have a link on your library home page that says 'books' that takes you to the catalog, even though the catalog contains more than just books.  A separate link on the home page titled 'videos' might *also* take you to the catalog (although maybe now with a format limit pre-set).

In other words, there doesn't need to be a one-to-one correspondence between the website and the org chart.  You can have multiple links on the website focused around *tasks* that user understands, even if some of those tasks take you to the same system or service desk.

> I believe most of us put materials on reserve
> because different use conditions apply to them

Exactly right.  That an item is at the Reserves Desk is really a matter of internal circulation policies.

Which is why we probably shouldn't focus on "reserves" in and of themselves on the website.  That would be like having a link for "oversized books" on the website.  These reflect *internal* library needs, not end-user distinctions.

It seems to me that reserves data should really be exposed to other places -- Learning Management Systems, for example -- where it can be combined with other 'course' materials, including e-reserves, which the library might also manage.

--Dave

David Walker
Library Web Services Manager
California State University