[Web4lib] Ideas on current/future uses of EPUB in libraries?

Roy Tennant tennantr at oclc.org
Sun Dec 26 16:55:51 EST 2010

Posted on behalf of Greg Williams, <gwilliams at westlinnoregon.gov >.
Roy

Hi all,

I¹m giving a conference presentation on the EPUB ebook format early next
year, and I¹m planning to include some discussion of how the EPUB format
(both as implemented by the current 2.0.1 specification, and the upcoming
EPUB3 specification) might be utilized/leveraged by libraries now and in the
future, and what implications the format might have for future library
services.  Of course, being neither omniscient nor precognitive, I¹m keen to
hear my colleagues¹ thoughts on the subject!

Since EPUB is, at heart, a web-based content format, I¹m posting to this
list first (I¹m thinking y¹all likely have some experience with speculating
about/innovating with web-based content) .  If you¹ve got ideas for using
EPUB (even if it¹s a ³10-years-down-the-road-if-at-all² type of idea), or
thoughts on how the format might impact future library services, I¹d love to
hear your speculations.

For example, some of my usage brainstorms include:

                -Creation/conversion of existing special collections
material (especially local history material) to EPUB.
                -³On demand² creation of EPUB archives (using something like
Calibre) for patrons from existing, non-EPUB material (subject to copyright
restrictions, of course).
                -Using EPUB to facilitate creation/distribution and improve
utility of electronic course reserves.
                -Extraction/analysis/use of EPUB metadata.
                -Revenue opportunities (creating/selling EPUB ebooks based
on special collection material, or exclusive content authored by
patrons/donors).
                -Classes on self-publishing/EPUB creation.

Feel free to respond off-list (unless you think this is a topic of wider
interest to list members).  Thanks in advance!

Greg Williams
West Linn Public Library
gwilliams at westlinnoregon.gov