[Web4lib] Souvenir Photos for Summer Reading Club

Elizabeth Larssen elizabeth.larssen at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 17:31:00 EDT 2010

I've been asked to investigate the possibility of having souvenir
photos/photo booth for the Summer Reading Club at our libraries for the
children receiving medals.  Similar to the idea of the
rollercoaster souvenir photo, except the staff would take a picture of the
child and their medal and then receive the photo via email.  The other
example I was given was of children at an event sponsored by a Canadian
bank, where the children's parents provided an email address and they
received an email with the photo of the children (with a nice border around
the photo).  When you click on the image, there is the option to print or
download the photo.  We have digital cameras, of course, but I'm concerned
with the logistics of linking the photo to an email address and the options
of printing/downloading.  I believe the Canadian bank contracted an outside
company to manage the database of photos/email addresses and handle any
issues. Of course, hiring an outside company would be well beyond our
budget.  But I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has tried anything
similar for events at their libraries.

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions.

Beth Larssen
Information Services
Surrey Public Library