[Web4lib] Merging the lending and reference desks in academic libraries

Jennifer Sigalet jsigalet at okanagan.bc.ca
Tue Aug 24 12:17:51 EDT 2010

Hi Janette -

No research to offer although we discussed this a great deal - but we designed a simple ref and circ combo desk and it works really well! We are a small campus library with only one librarian on campus. The combo desk is the shape of a boomerang with the ref part angling into the info commons workstations and the circ desk angling towards the entrance doors.  In the middle is a little peninsula where we gather around and have the occasional meeting - if patrons come for assistance we simply help them and continue the meeting! As well, when the librarian is off the ref desk students and others will go to the circ desk where they will receive info or be referred etc.

Access and communication has improved all around - not only creating a more welcoming "reception"/circ/ref desk - but also enhancing communication in the circ/ref area amongst staff.

The University of Calgary has a more sophisticated version I believe and inspired us to do this!

Jennifer