[Web4lib] Google Wave bye-bye

Michael Schofield mschofield at neflin.org
Thu Aug 5 11:03:54 EDT 2010

That is really a shame - but I think we'll see other incarnations of the
same pop-up as the virtual office gains traction. For a semester long
project, my team and I organized into a mock web development firm with
digital library friendly services, and we kicked clunky Elluminate to the
curb--and because Citrix GoToMeeting wasn't an option due to cost--used
Google Wave for all of our business planning. After we established some
ground rules about tagging waves, surfing through the dozens and dozens of
documents we produced (and collaborated on in real time) was a breeze. Once
they integrated video chat into the mix and Google Voice, we didn't even
need to use the Elluminate room our professor set aside for us.

The Geek in Me: It was also ideal for text-based RPGs for those of us who
grew-up on MUDs and MUSHs - you could even do dice rolls.

What a bummer.

Michael @ BCPL