[Web4lib] Thin client computer lab (Cab Vinton)

Teri Rogers trogers at coralville.lib.ia.us
Tue Apr 13 18:10:18 EDT 2010

We're using Sun Sun Ray software and hardware and serving up XP Pro
virtual machines/desktops to the public. We are using VMWare as well.
This is done with 3 servers and 60 of the Sun Ray 270 ultrathin
stateless clients. The thin clients have full size keyboards and mice.
(You can use most USB brands; we chose the Sun model). We've also added
some Sun Ray Gobi thin client laptops.
The Sun Ray desktop hardware was very reasonable (better than price
listed online) and they have great longevity and use little power. Most
if not all of the software we used in our 2008 setup is free but does
come with a learning curve.
The best part is the desktop virtualization: in 90 seconds I can rebuild
a desktop. This process can be automated as well.
Might be worth a look.

Teri Rogers
Network / Technology Administrator
Coralville Public Library