[Web4lib] apps vs webpages?

MJ Suhonos mj at suhonos.ca
Tue Apr 13 13:18:11 EDT 2010

In my opinion, there is *absolutely* much wrong with creating an app — not the least of which is the now-common complaint of having to be reviewed and sanctioned by the distributor (ie. Apple).  For applications which are primarily off-line or make extensive use of the hardware (eg. games, GPS-backed apps, note/information-taking tools, etc.) there is a very strong use case for native apps.

But for resource ("catalogue") searches which inherently access an online database, you need to have an Internet connection anyway.  In that situation, you gain a host of benefits from building a web-based application, not the least of which is cross-platform (and cross-device) compatibility.  Web-based == server-based, which means upgrades, bug fixes, etc. can be done incrementally and immediately, rather than bundles up and pushed out as point releases (and reviewed each time).

Case in point: I was able to build mytpl.ca in a few evenings, based solely on some LAMP-based hacking on my personal computer, and using some open standards (namely Z39.50 and HTML5's geo-location support).  Building a dedicated iPhone app would've taken much longer, not including the fact that I'd have to learn a variant of C (the only languages Apple now allows).

A well-written web application (and mytpl is by no means an example of this), combined with some good cross-platform frameworks like IUI, and W3C-based support for hardware features, provides many of the advantages of a native app without many of the limitations.

MJ