[Web4lib] Circulating Kindle and Nooks

Cary Gordon listuser at chillco.com
Mon Apr 12 18:35:25 EDT 2010

To me, this is the heart of the matter. Manufacturers and publishing
are (again) asserting, in essence, that individuals have no rights
with regard to the intellectual property of others. They may be
granted license for limited use, the licensing entity can set any
terms they wish, and that is it.

They believe that Fair Use is a taking.

This is going to be a tough issue and it won't be settled, one way or
another, anytime soon.

Cary

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 11:06 AM, Tim Spalding <tim at librarything.com> wrote:
---- snip ---

> In this case I contend that gadget manufacturers and publishers are
> fundamentally altering the legal context of intellectual production in
> a way that undermines the legal rights and economic value of
> libraries, the ethical standards of librarians and the rights of
> patrons.

--- snip ---

--
Cary Gordon