[Web4lib] Training Recommendations for PHP and MySQL

Mark Dehmlow mdehmlow at nd.edu
Fri Apr 9 11:30:02 EDT 2010

In the area of editors, Eclipse is really great,
http://www.eclipse.org/, and it has a PHP plugin -
http://www.eclipse.org/pdt/.  If you want to go a little less intense, I
like Edit Pad Pro, http://www.editpadpro.com/.

It depends on the programming activity as to whether I start from zero
or not.  Often times I will, and one of the nice things about PHP is
that it allows for rapid development.  As to PHP vs Python, I guess I
would say it depends on your use.  You can run PHP from the command
line, but I typically don't, for that type of things I usually use
PERL.  Python coders love Python, so I think it just comes down to what
you like to code in.  From the job search standpoint, I often see PERL,
PHP, or J2EE skills requested, and not as much Python or even Ruby,
which has a lot of very devoted users.

One of the advantages of writing in PHP is that when you start to write
object oriented code, it feels similar to Java (I don't know about
Python, but OO PERL is quite different) and can give you somewhat of a
boost toward Java if you are ever interested in heading in that direction.

--Mark

Mark Dehmlow
Digital Initiatives Librarian

      Electronic Resources and Serials
		 Access Department

115A Hesburgh Library      |  mdehmlow at nd.edu
University of Notre Dame   |  voice: (574) 631-3092
Notre Dame, IN 46556       |  fax:   (574) 631-6772