[Web4lib] LibGuides

Campbell, James (jmc) jmc at virginia.edu
Wed Sep 30 09:44:09 EDT 2009

For us there are two factors that seem to determine popularity. One is simply the size of the program, the guide for English gets more use than the guide for Japanese.  The other is whether or not it is integrated with instruction. So yes, course guides are heavily used (if there are a lot of people in the course), but so are the general guides in those departments and schools where they are used as the basis for library instruction. (And as an aside, our use of RefWorks also correlates strongly with instruction.)

I agree about the usefulness of the button, but we also have a master list of our subscription resources and encourage page builders to link to the entries in it.  It's been particularly useful lately as we've cancelled some things. Once the entry in the master list goes, so do all the linked entries on other pages.

      - Jim Campbell

      Digital Access Librarian | Librarian for German
      University of Virginia Library | Charlottesville, VA 22904-4112

      513 Alderman | campbell at virginia.edu | 434-924-4985