[Web4lib] Librarians, administrators, and Google's "library"

Brian Gray mindspiral at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 18:59:42 EDT 2009

With the uproar we would hear at my school from faculty in areas like arts
and humanities who still value the print book, it would take little message
from me to change their minds.

But in comparison to the similar situations I mentioned, we demonstrate the
value of the various options. Each type of resource and/or access has
different value and user interest. We talk about the one time purchase with
ownership versus just leasing access one year at a time. We discuss the
challenges with other's controlling information and access, such as
technology failure or the recent example of Kindle taking back a book. We
share examples of how prices to information that we lease electronically
escalte drastically every year and essentionally we have nothing to show for
it weh nwe can no longer meet the external organization's asking price.

Brian Gray
mindspiral at gmail.com
bcg8 at case.edu