[Web4lib] Question: 'Funding Open'

Alnisa Allgood alnisa at nonprofit-tech.org
Thu Sep 24 09:12:15 EDT 2009

Hi All-
I thought this might be a great question to ask librarians. I'm exploring
the idea of putting together a panel discussion on 'Funding Open' basically
the thought is, with old funding models dying in a number of fields, and
tons of initiatives and efforts being placed on openness and transparency,
including open education and open access how do we fund these things. What
ideas are being explored, what models and or frameworks exist, etc.

Who I'm looking for are people from the midwest, primarily the Madison, WI
to Chicago, IL corridor that have addressed, researched, explored, or have a
general interest in these ideas. Possibly as potential panelist. In
addition, access to any bodies of research would be great as well. I've
started my research with Eric Von Hippel at MIT and also the Open Access
movement. But I figure, especially for Open Access, librarians have been
leading the way, so why not get recommendations directly from them.

So any thoughts, ideas, recommendations would all be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alnisa

Alnisa Allgood
Executive Director