[Web4lib] DEADLINE EXTENDED: Lightning Talks at LITA Forum 2009

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Fri Sep 18 19:17:23 EDT 2009

DEADLINE EXTENDED! We have 4 slots available. Get back to us by next
Wednesday, September 23, and you too could be presenting a lightning talk at
LITA Forum 2009!

Karen G. Schneider & Susan Smith, Lightning Talk Coordinators

-----------

Along with sparkling keynotes and terrific programs, LITA Forum 2009,
October 1-4 in Salt Lake City, offers two sessions of nine five-minute
lightning talks (at previous Forums, called Five Minute Madness) on
Friday, Oct. 2 at 4:20 and again on Sat. Oct. 3 at 10:50 am.

Lightning talks are snappy presentations that are great fun for
attendees and an opportunity for presenters to showcase late-breaking
ideas, trends, and achievements. Speakers are strictly held to five
minutes (we sound the gong at 4:59). There is a Q&A period for all
speakers at the end.

Want to continue the conversations after the lightning talks? Sessions
are conveniently scheduled right before Friday's Vendor Showcase
Reception and Saturday's lunch.

Lightning talks are first-come, first-serve. We will assign the first 18
people who reply, and once these slots are full, the other names will go
on a waiting list. We assume you're registered for LITA Forum!

www.lita.org/ala/mgrps/divs/lita/litaevents/forum2009/registration.cfm

TO SIGN UP:

1. Send an email to kgs at esilibrary.com with your name, email,
organization, title for your lightning talk, and preferred session
(October 2 or October 3). Please put LITA Forum Lightning Talk in the
subject of your message. Use the Conference Schedule to help you select
your preferred session time.
http://www.lita.org/ala/mgrps/divs/lita/litaevents/forum2009/schedule.cfm

2. We will notify the lightning-talkers and the first few runners-up by
NEW: Wednesday, September 23, 2009.

3. If your plans change, please let us know so we can reassign your slot!

BE SCHOOLED ON THE RULES:

1. LITA Forum attendees from companies are welcome to participate, but
the content must relate to technology and libraries and should not be a
sales pitch.

2. People who already have programs, papers, posters accepted at LITA
Forum are requested to give others a chance (unless they are burning
with a completely different idea they are absolutely dying to share).

3. These are quick, fun, low-barrier talks. Extensive slides and
handouts are not required or expected. Remember, when the gong strikes,
you're outta there.

4. If you use slides, please bring them in a format compatible with MS
PowerPoint on a thumb drive for loading onto the computer in the room
during the break preceding the session (or load them to a slidesharing
site and advise us of the URL). We will ensure that they are forwarded
to the LITA office for inclusion on the Forum website.