[Web4lib] COPPA in Libraries

Tim Spalding tim at librarything.com
Mon Sep 14 12:33:54 EDT 2009

Is your question about enforcing COPPA on data entered into library
systems, or is it about external access?

COPPA falls on the operator of a commercial website targeted to
children that collects personally identifiable information. Unless I
am mistaken, it isn't just the "commercial" that probably excepts
libraries, but the rest of it too. That is, website that gets children
to enter birth dates and emails may be running afoul of COPPA, but the
library that provides computers on which a child might find that
website isn't. And some library web app (ie., an OPAC) would only run
afoul not only if the library were ruled commercial, but if the app.
were targeted at children and collected personally identifiable
information.

As they say, I am not a lawyer. (And thank God for that!)

Tim

Check out my library at http://www.librarything.com/profile/timspalding