[Web4lib] SecondLife Community Libraries

Ms Norma Jean Hewlett hewlett at usfca.edu
Thu Sep 10 17:48:25 EDT 2009

H Micheal and all
Far from having been passed by, SecondLife is alive and well, with twice
as many active residents as when I joined two years ago.

One of the most interesting things about SL is the way people seem to
feel that libraries are a necessary part of their online communities,
even the fantasy communities. I live in a steampunk-fantasy 19th century
Oregon town, where I was recruited to be the Director of a public
library that exists only in cyberspace. We are part of a library
consortium - one of several library consortia that exist on SecondLife.
Our members include about a dozen similar libraries in a wide variety of
role-playing communities, from medieval Japan to Ireland to Moorish
Spain to Victorian England.

Silly? Perhaps, but also a research laboratory for studying the roles of
an online library in a highly computer-literate community.

Jean Hewlett
Regional Librarian, University of San Francisco
aka Riven Homewood
Director, Steelhead Public Library, Steelhead City, SecondLife