[Web4lib] Facebook

Andrew Darby darby.lists at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 14:11:09 EDT 2009

I don't think it needs to be as time-consuming as you think.  To my
mind, the "killer app" for Facebook--at least libraries on
Facebook--is the current awareness tool that the page's status updates
provide.  When you update your page's status, this gets disseminated
to all your "fans" through their news feed.

Just as one of your friends might post that they recently made
tortilla soup, the library might note that they're hiring students for
the fall semester (with a link to the page), or need subjects for
usability testing (with a reward of a gift certificate), or that the
library closes early tomorrow, or the new Harry Potter tome has
arrived, or whatever.  Doing an update like this takes as long as it
takes to log in and type a sentence, not a big time sink.  You will
probably want to set up a page, too (where the FBML might come in),
but I'm skeptical that this is much use or used.

You need to acquire some fans, of course, for the service to be
useful.  We periodically advertise on the library's home page, and
when it first came up, we said we'd randomly award three prizes from
among the first 50 fans--and ended up with 50 fans very quickly.

Andrew

Our Facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/iclibrary