[Web4lib] Facebook

Mitchell, Michael Michael.Mitchell at brazosport.edu
Thu Sep 10 12:20:45 EDT 2009

Thanks for your answers. I feel a bit more enlightened now though not necessarily convinced. I keep trying to believe in Library 2.0, or even small parts of it, but I'm just not being very successful in convincing myself of the utility of most of it.
	For example, we can stay in their face with Facebook, I see that now, but I just don't see that we (Brazosport College Library) have that much to put in their faces. There is a time and place for everything. We can let them add social tags to books and other items but I don't see imprecise descriptions helping anyone much. Blogging is so over-rated and becoming quite passé. They're everywhere but look how many blogs haven't been updated in months. Aren't they sad looking? Our reference librarian is participating in a national reference service that invites texted questions. I think he said he's gotten about six questions so far in a month or so. But it's new so maybe word just needs to spread.
	I'll keep lurking and thinking here.

Michael Mitchell
Technical Services Librarian
Brazosport College