[Web4lib] Facebook

Andrew Bangert abangert at bates.edu
Thu Sep 10 11:27:53 EDT 2009

Michael,

Aside from the potential for interaction (absent from most library web
sites),  it is about pushing information to students.

To expand on what Chester said, regarding putting the library where
students will encounter it as part of their normal routines,
it isn't just about being at hand, but about not requiring them to come
to you at all, anywhere, in order to learn of something.

If a student follows (becomes a "fan" of) the library FB page, updates
to the page will show up in the stream of updates that is the student's
FB homepage.
It is a way to reach into the stream of information that they are paying
attention to, to drop information they aren't seeking out in their lap.

As others have pointed out, you can use the FB page as a conduit for
existing RSS or Twitter feeds.  Doing so puts these feeds in a form that
a student, rather than a 30 year old blogger, developer, etc., might
actually use and monitor.

-Andrew