[Web4lib] Facebook

B.G. Sloan bgsloan2 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 10 11:20:55 EDT 2009

John Fereira said: "I think that the more important question here is whether students want to use Facebook to interact with libraries."

For what it's worth, early last year the University of Michigan posted the results of a survey of students' web use and the library.

One of the questions on the survey was: "If you could contact a librarian via Facebook or MySpace for help with your research, would you?"

Only 17% of the respondents answered "yes". An additional 6% said "maybe". The remainder (77%) said "no", for a variety of reasons. See page 13 at:
http://www.lib.umich.edu/files/services/usability/WebSurvey_Fall2007.pdf

Of course this is just one survey, and it was conducted almost two years ago, but it's an interesting perspective.

Bernie Sloan