[Web4lib] Should the Gates Foundation Support Linux and Apple?

Robert Balliot rballiot at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 09:59:17 EDT 2009

I had the same experience in Rhode Island.  The grant actually provided a
cash option. However, the aggregate system with server, support and training
to develop an internal security solution for public access computers
was much more valuable.

When I reviewed other libraries who had opted for cash, their public
offerings
were much more limited - even though they had much larger IT budgets.
They only added hardware to an existing system created with their in-house
intellectual capital. The solution offered by the Gates Grant was
the product of
collective efforts in many libraries in many environments.  We were one of
the
last states in the grant cycle and benefited from the wisdom gained by
testing,
implementing, and solving the problems with the earlier configurations.

Making the entire suite of Microsoft Office available to the public
also meant that
the public could learn how to use those tools, develop marketable skills,
and bring those
skills to their own workplace.  It is certainly less expensive to use Open
Source and
Linux - but familiarity with Microsoft Office is a fundamental requirement
for
many jobs.

R. Balliot
http://oceanstatelibrarian.com/contact.htm