[Web4lib] CMS + homegrown code (making the transition)

Chester D. Mealer chester at rpl.org
Tue Oct 20 13:41:37 EDT 2009

This is why I recommend MODx. Of all of the different sytems I have looked at, it is the easiest to import homegrown code into. We have several forms all of which use a library card number for authentication (based off of Innovative's PATRONAPI). With the exception of 1 or 2 lines of code, I pretty much pasted my existing handlers and forms into the cms and went on with my life. The same with our code to pull the New York Times Bestseller list.

MODx does have a database API that can work with your existing databases and in some cases makes future coding even easier.

The only down side I've found with MODx is that if you want to use an external source to authenticate your users for content management (i.e. the ability to edit articles) it is slightly more difficult than some other systems however, the ability to cut and paste homegrown code outweighs that in my mind.

Chester Mealer
Webmaster
Rapides Parish Library
chester at rpl.org