[Web4lib] video conferencing suggestions

Kimberly Silk kimberly.silk at Rotman.Utoronto.Ca
Mon Oct 19 15:01:20 EDT 2009

Hi everyone,

I'd like to get opinions and suggestions on different videoconferencing solutions. In my organization, we have 2 scenarios in which we want to use videoconferencing:

1.       A quick-and-easy setup for classroom use when we have 3 locations to hook up together. I'd love to use something plug-and-playish like NetMeeting or Adobe Breeze. As long as the sound is good, we can tolerate mid-range video. The key here is that it should be easy to set up and appropriate for individuals to join in the conversation using their laptops w/ camera and microphone built in.

2.       A more sophisticated setup that can be used by our lead researcher to speak to larger groups, conferences, summits, etc where he can use videoconferencing instead of traveling. For instance, he does a lot of radio interviews and they are very good quality even when the radio station sets up a portable studio here, as opposed to having to travel to the studio. Is there something similar available for videoconferencing?

Many thanks!
Kim

Kimberly Silk, MLS
Data Librarian, The Martin Prosperity Institute
Joseph L. Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto
MaRS Centre, Heritage Building
101 College Street, Suite 420
Toronto, ON M5G 1L7
Office: 416-673-8586