[Web4lib] Content Management

Thomas Crichlow thomas.crichlow at duke.edu
Fri Oct 16 14:10:51 EDT 2009

We use Cascade Server by http://www.hannonhill.com/ It is a commercial
product with a lot of capability out of the box. But you would still need
to spend a lot of time creating templates, etc. It makes extensive use of
xml, xsl, but it does support php and jsp. Hannon Hill has an extensive
Knowledge Base (http://www.hannonhill.com/kb/) and seems to do an okay job
of supporting and updating the product.

We had previously used Zope/Plone and experimented with
Dreamweaver/Contribute, but have been much happier with Cascade Server.

We also use WordPress http://wordpress.org/ and have found it easy to use
in building small sites quickly. Although it is open source, it actually
seems easier to use than some commercial products. It has strong community
support. Jim Groom (http://jimgroom.net/) has really pushed the envelope
with a related product called WordPress MU. He has posted a FAQ here:
http://bavatuesdays.com/faq-for-universities-interested-in-wpmu/  Not sure
WordPress would work well for an entire library site, but it would be okay
for a smaller site or a micro site in addition to being excellent for
traditional blogs.

We are thinking about exploring Drupal for a number of projects, but
haven't gotten beyond an initial installation.

Cheers,
Tom
_______________________________________

  Thomas Crichlow, Digital Projects Consultant
  Digital Projects Department, Perkins Library, Duke University
  Blog: http://library.duke.edu/blogs/digital-collections/

  Phone: 919.660.6932
  E-mail: thomas.crichlow at duke.edu
  IM: tcrich at jabber.duke.edu

> Megan Gurney <mgurney at chipublib.org>
> 10/16/09 12:42 PM
>
> To "web4lib at webjunction.org" <web4lib at webjunction.org>
>
> Subject: [Web4lib] Content Management
>

> What content management system is used by your library?
>
> We need to migrate from Serena Collage and are starting to look at
possible CMS's to use.  Mid-tier, php, asset management.  We do not really
have the staff on hand right now (and not for the forseeable future) for
an open source product.