[Web4lib] Metadata scheme for computer hardware

Walker Sampson walker.sampson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 13:21:49 EDT 2009

Hello all,
I'm wondering if any one on the list is aware of a metadata set designed
for, or that would be appropriate for, a repository of computer hardware.
I've taken a look at Dublin Core, MODS, METS, and while any of these could
be used for software, I'm on a project that needs to track and preserve
hardware too. This would include whole systems and individual components
like boards, cards, peripherals, etc. I've searched a bit for a
manufacturer's own internal metadata for their components, but haven't found
that information anywhere. Even if such information were openly available,
each manufacturer's set would likely be different.

Has any one encountered this problem before, or know of any resources that
could help?

Thank you,
Walker