[Web4lib] A Library to Last Forever - NY Times OpEd piece on GoogleBook Search

Campbell, James (jmc) jmc at virginia.edu
Tue Oct 13 09:30:37 EDT 2009

While I too have some concerns about the current Google settlement, note that none of the Google library agreements gives Google "hegemonic omnipotence." In each case Google provides the library with copies of everything done from that collection and the libraries can make those works available on their own sites or in other ways (e.g., Hathi Trust).  Their current negotiations with the National Library of France are an interesting case in point.  When concerns were expressed about Google monopolizing French cultural patrimony, Google simply offered the Library copies of all the out of copyright French works they are digitizing to use in Gallica and Europeana.

      - Jim Campbell

      Digital Access Librarian | Librarian for German
      University of Virginia Library | Charlottesville, VA 22904-4112

      513 Alderman | campbell at virginia.edu | 434-924-4985