[Web4lib] Question about electronic printing and an end to paper and/or plastic print/copycards

Smart Ncube ssumahh at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 08:45:24 EDT 2009

In our library we have found the solution sofyware as being Papercut
NG check sit www.papercut.com  With this software , patrons have an
account, accounts can be imported from windows directory, the patron
in question must be logged on to the client computer in order to send
print jobs, and the papercut software resides at the printer server
and does all the print jobs logging. You can batch import users from
the ILS you are using.

The hindrance to the use of this software though is the cost
associated with the number of users.

Regards

Smart Ncube

Senior IT Technician
National University of Science and Technology LIBRARY
Stand 140 Fort Street, 9th avenue
Bulawayo
Zimbabwe.

On 10/11/09, D. Turcotte <electrum05 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Are you using an electronic type of print/copycard system instead using
> paper or plastic cards? The supplier our Library has used in the past no
> longer produces the paper cards used for our card reader, and we cannot
> reprogram plastic cards on our card reader, so our Library is seeking an
> alternative solution.
>
> One alternative, new to me, is the use of a password/id system that is
> apparently managed through the library automation program (SIRSI, in our
> case), yet is largely self-service for the patron. Patrons sign up for an
> account and all cash updates to the account are done at the Library
> Circulation desk.  All staff and students have a photocopy/print account
> attached to their library account. This print account is debited whenever
> any printing or photocopying is done. I know very little more about this
> alternative. Do you know of any such software?
>
> Can you recommend any alternatives and provide web links to service
> providers? Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
> Dawna Turcotte
> Northern Lights College
> Fort St. John, BC