[Web4lib] Question about electronic printing and an end to paper and/or plastic print/copycards

D. Turcotte electrum05 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 00:16:32 EDT 2009

Hello,

Are you using an electronic type of print/copycard system instead using
paper or plastic cards? The supplier our Library has used in the past no
longer produces the paper cards used for our card reader, and we cannot
reprogram plastic cards on our card reader, so our Library is seeking an
alternative solution.

One alternative, new to me, is the use of a password/id system that is
apparently managed through the library automation program (SIRSI, in our
case), yet is largely self-service for the patron. Patrons sign up for an
account and all cash updates to the account are done at the Library
Circulation desk.  All staff and students have a photocopy/print account
attached to their library account. This print account is debited whenever
any printing or photocopying is done. I know very little more about this
alternative. Do you know of any such software?

Can you recommend any alternatives and provide web links to service
providers? Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Dawna Turcotte
Northern Lights College
Fort St. John, BC