[Web4lib] Twenty years of posting to library e-mail discussion lists

B.G. Sloan bgsloan2 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 9 15:44:34 EDT 2009

For what it's worth, this past Saturday (October 3) marked the 20th anniversary of the first posting I ever made to a library e-mail discussion list. The list in question was PACS-L, which is still in operation but is no longer very active.

It seems to me that, even with blogs and new forms of social software, the old-school e-mail list format still serves a vital function for librarians. Twenty years ago there were only a few library-related e-mail lists. Today there are who knows how many lists, many of them very active.

Bernie Sloan