[Web4lib] Using DOM scripting to show/hide Meebo widget based onlogin status

Kozlowski,Brendon bkozlowski at sals.edu
Wed Oct 7 12:32:36 EDT 2009

Rather than trying to go through the difficult process of detecting when the staff member is offline for off-hours (as that seems to be the concern), why not simply hide it based on your normal operating hours?  Although not as efficient, it would be easier to implement and something you could do "now" while trying to find the actual answer.

The problem with detecting the Meebo widget's online/offline state is that it does so via AJAX as it is, so even it won't know until after the page has loaded.  You'd have to detect not only if it's offline, but when it's completed its network status checking for that account, then make changes - depending on how it's done, possibly causing "screen flicker".

That being said, I'm sorry to say that I don't know the answer to your question, and as someone else mentioned, I will soon be implementing LibraryH3lp and bypassing the Meebo-for-library's webpages fad altogether.  Good luck!

Brendon Kozlowski
Web Administrator
Saratoga Springs Public Library
49 Henry Street