[Web4lib] Choosing a wiki

John Fereira jaf30 at cornell.edu
Fri Oct 2 08:50:56 EDT 2009

D.H. Mattison wrote:
> Oct 1, 2009
>
> Since your students are more than likely familiar with Wikipedia and
> possibly might even had made contributions, choosing MediaWiki may be your
> best, least-cost solution. Is your wiki being hosted within the UTO
> computing network or is being hosted outside? If the latter then I think
> you'd have to look at how MediaWiki compares with Confluence for security.
>
> You might want to take a look too at the WikiMatrix for comparison purposes.
> I compared the two and the first thing that struck me is that Confluence may
> not run on a pure LAMP platform because it has different system
> requirements, mainly the server and the programming language.
Yes, Confluence is a java web application and although an out-of-the-box
LAMP stack probably has, at the very least, a java run time environment,
it may not have the servlet container.  I've only deployed it to Tomcat
(which is open source and easy to download and deploy).

I'm a big fan of Confluence.  I installed it several years ago on one of
our servers with the intent on just using by a handful of developers in
my IT department.  Within 2 months we had dozens of requests from within
the library and the college we support for accounts and had 40 something
different spaces and over 1000 pages.  Now it's an enterprise wide
(Cornell) wiki platfrom supported by the main campus IT department and
extremely popular.