[Web4lib] "Using Google Analytics is Illegal, German Government Officials Claim"

Cary Gordon listuser at chillco.com
Wed Nov 25 11:44:58 EST 2009

I can't translate it verbatim, but the gist is that they claim that
Google's license language gives them the power to change their terms
of service at any time, in essence, giving them carte blanche. I
thinkthey are right.

They also think that there must be an opt-out. I think they are off on this one.

It is kind of cool in a brain-dead, zombieesque sort of way, that
Google AdWords still associates advertisers with content expressing a
negative view of their products.

Cary

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 1:17 PM, Jennifer O'Donnell
<jennifer.s.odonnell at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just came across this article from the Washington Post:
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/24/AR2009112401493.html
>
> I am very interested in reading an English translation of the original
> article in Die Zeit (
> http://www.zeit.de/digital/datenschutz/2009-11/google-analytics-datenschutz).
> I would like to understand their rationale.  I would appreciate it if
> someone can redirect me to a translation of this site.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Jennifer O'Donnell

Cary Gordon
The Cherry Hill Company