[Web4lib] Ideas for home grown db authentification pages

Mary Wilkes Towner mtowner at tufl.info
Thu Nov 19 12:51:06 EST 2009

Hi! I’m crossposting to PubLib& Web4Lib, so forgive any duplication. I
appreciate the wisdom of both audiences.

Have you set up your own authentification schemes for database access on
your web pages?
I’d like to visit your websites to get ideas.

For a variety of reasons, my library has decided to drop our federated
search engine vendor and create our own home-grown database access page.

We’re pretty much beginners in this area and I sure would appreciate
suggestions or mentoring. No one currently on staff has worked with
authentication except me, and I was using our previous vendor’s template.

We have access via our local library consortium to Dynix RPA to
authenticate our borrowers, but we’re not sure how we keep patrons from
bookmarking an authenticated page and going there directly in the
future. We’re also interested in having patrons only authenticate once,
not each time they switch to another database. I know our vendors will
agree to a referral URL from out authentication page once we have it secure.

What steps or issues are we missing here?

Also, is this something we can reasonably do or is it more appropriate
to find an outside consultant with programming experience to help?

Our goal is to create an attractive, useful page where the patron
doesn’t have to authenticate each time he enters a database.

Thanks so much!

marywt

--
Mary Wilkes Towner
Adult Services Librarian
(217) 367-4405 mtowner at tufl.info

Libri utendi. Omni libro lector. Omni lectori liber.
Otium lectoris servandum. Floreat biblioteca.
(Latin Ranganathan)