[Web4lib] Information Technology Procedures Manual

Schooff, Rose (LVA) Rose.Schooff at lva.virginia.gov
Thu Nov 12 15:26:35 EST 2009

Do you have any procedures and/or policies manuals that deal with your
IT function? Why I'm asking is because we've learned a hard lesson here
in Virginia with a computer guy dying and libraries were left in a lurch
trying to guess passwords, trying to figure out what piece of equipment
did what etc. We also have had some libraries where the technology
person has left, been laid off, retired etc and there was not a central
location for passwords, documentation, etc.

I am interested in sample documentation in order to help other libraries
develop a written procedure that I think is highly necessary in today's
environment of almost everything being "virtual reality" and you can be
locked out of it if you don't take the proper steps to prevent an "oh
crud" moment.

What I am thinking the procedure would include is that the Director or
other designated person have a password protected file (like Word or
Excel [but is that secure enough]) or software (like PassKeeper) in a
secure location (either physical or virtual) that they share with the IT
person. For example, if the IT person changes the web server's password
they document that change in the shared file. Another procedure would be
is to "name" those machines and make sure they are physically labeled.
Another point would be probably in the HR procedures that if the IT
person is no longer employed with the library that the passwords be
changed immediately.

Sorry for the rambling, but that's how it's just falling out of my head.
Not quite sure what this would look like, but have an idea.

Rose M. Schooff
Technology Consultant
Library Development and Networking
The Library of Virginia