[Web4lib] Web site performance affected by large number of files in a directory?

Robert Sullivan robert.g.sullivan at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 13:45:38 EST 2009

I'm doing some testing for another historical records project (Civil
War muster rolls).  It's working well so far, but my current structure
for it has one file per company in a single directory.  This would
eventually result in about 3000 pages (around 28K each).

Is this likely to cause any performance issues?  The site is hosted on
a Linux/Apache system.  I could rewrite my database programs to break
up the files into folders by regiment if that would speed things up.

--
Bob Sullivan
Schenectady Digital History Archive