[Web4lib] Kindle vs. Accessibility

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Sun May 17 19:24:41 EDT 2009

Tim Spalding wrote:

> My point is that digitization impacts different industries
> differently, based on technology, legal risk, market dynamics,
> demographics, etc.

But books are not *one* "industry".  Each genre of print has its
own conditions.  College textbooks are more likely to be pirated.
Printed encyclopedias are hard to sell when Wikipedia exists.
Printed maps aren't as useful as a GPS navigator.  Who uses a
printed spelling dictionary nowadays?  These kinds of books are
replaced for very different reasons. Other kinds will stay around.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)