[Web4lib] Kindle vs. Accessibility

Tim Spalding tim at librarything.com
Thu May 14 16:25:04 EDT 2009

When authors sell rights to a book, they sell specific rights. The
audiobook, paperback, hardback and ebook rights are all sold sepately.
The fallacy in your example—reading books to children in libraries—is
that, if you booked a hall and sold tickets to read a book out loud,
it wouldn't be covered—performance rights are something else.

The question is, what is text-to-speech? Absent a contract that
defines what it is, is it an ebook right, an audio book right or a
right all its own? Nobody knows. (One result is that audiobook
companies are leery of signing contracts with authors who've sold TTS
rights, because that will eventually diminish the value of the
audiobook.)

Is it one thing now but, as technology improves, it becomes something
else? You may think TTS is bad, but it's getting a lot better. I use
it a lot already, to read blogs, mostly.

What about translations? What if the Kindle translated books for you?
Sure, they wouldn't be great, but they're getting better, and
translation rights are clearly and firmly within book contracts. If an
author signs a contract saying you can publish the book in English,
and then signs a second agreement with a German publisher, can the
English publisher offer a machine-translated version? Surely not.

For interest, here's a good legal overview of the problem:
http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/11/know-your-rights-does-the-kindle-2s-text-to-speech-infringe-au/

Tim

Check out my library at http://www.librarything.com/profile/timspalding