[Web4lib] Drupal / LibGuides / Library a la Carte question

Ian Chan ichan at csusm.edu
Wed Mar 25 12:39:18 EDT 2009

1. We use Drupal for our intranet and extranet.  Library a la Carte is
our preferred subject guide tool.  We looked at using Moodle, LibGuides,
and Drupal for subject guides as well.  More info here:
http://biblio.csusm.edu/guideswiki.

2.  Oregon State created custom Drupal modules to integrate Library a la
Carte with Drupal.  However, I do not know if that includes search.
There is a Drupal module that integrates Google CSE, so you could use
that as a solution.  We are going to use SOLR for Drupal.  That would
most likely allow for integration of LAC and Drupal search.

FYI - OSU is working on database of databases and tutorial extensions
for Library a la Carte.  They are looking into integrating Rails Phusion
to enhance the a la Carte installation process.

3.  I don't think LibGuides is offered as a locally-installed package.
We install Library a la Carte on the same server as Drupal.  However, we
use a different subdomain and IP for LAC.

Ian Chan
Web Development Librarian
California State University San Marcos
http://library.csusm.edu/about/people/ian/