[Web4lib] Query: union search for online books

Henry Gladney hgladney at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 16:34:27 EDT 2009

Re: use of WorldCat

No results match your search for *'ti:Elementary Principles in Statistical
Mechanics au:Gibbs, Josiah
Willard<http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=ti%3AElementary+Principles+in+Statistical+Mechanics+au%3AGibbs%2C+Josiah+Willard&qt=facetNavigation>'
> 'English<http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=ti%3AElementary+Principles+in+Statistical+Mechanics+au%3AGibbs%2C+Josiah+Willard&qt=facetNavigation&fq=ln%3Aeng>'
> 'Internet Resource<http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=ti%3AElementary+Principles+in+Statistical+Mechanics+au%3AGibbs%2C+Josiah+Willard&qt=facetNavigation&fq=ln%3Aeng+%3E+dt%3Aurl>'
> '1850..1910'*.

No results match your search for *'ti:Pymalion
au:Shaw<http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=ti%3APymalion+au%3AShaw&qt=facetNavigation>'
> 'English<http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=ti%3APymalion+au%3AShaw&qt=facetNavigation&fq=ln%3Aeng>'
> 'Internet Resource'*.

I also looked for Goethe's Faust in German, and Heinrich Hertz's Principles
of Mechanics (english translation) without finding online versions via
WorldCat.  For these, Google searches worked, but even they required more
effort than would be needed by a good federated search service.

BTW, the difficulty experienced with WorldCat led me to provide
comment/suggestion feedback to that site's managers.

Best wishes, Henry

H.M. Gladney, Ph.D.     HMG Consulting http://home.pacbell.net/hgladney/
(408)867-5454