[Web4lib] For informal cites to friends and acquaintances indiscussing a particular catalog entry, how do you cite, format the URL for a particular Boston Public Library catalog entry?...

Moss,Paul mossp at oclc.org
Fri Mar 13 05:27:30 EDT 2009

Perhaps this is more complicated than you might want.  I was able to get this to work...

Link to a search:
http://catalog.mbln.org/ipac20/ipac.jsp?profile=bpl1&menu=search&aspect=basic_search&sort=&npp=10&ipp=100&index=.TW&term=journal+psychology

That is probably the most obvious one to make and change and pass around.  You can just change the search terms at the end to get a different result.  I'm not sure if all of those many fields in the middle are absolutely necessary -- I didn't really test to see which were.

To get what I think is a direct catalog record link, you can click on a result and then the URL in your browser will then contain a 'uri' field.  This can be used with mostly the same base as the above link to make the direct link to this record:
http://catalog.mbln.org/ipac20/ipac.jsp?profile=bpl1&menu=search&aspect=basic_search&sort=&npp=10&ipp=100&uri=full=3100001~!2918066~!0

I haven't pasted it here for reasons of URL ugliness but it should be reasonably easy to see this bit "&uri=full=3100001~!2918066~!0" in the URL that you get when you're looking at the record.

At least it Works For Me(TM).

Paul Moss
OCLC
973-868-8256