[Web4lib] Are e-mail discussion lists still relevant?

Jarvis, Hugh hjarvis at buffalo.edu
Tue Jun 30 13:37:28 EDT 2009

I guess I am biased. I've been running Listserv lists since before the Web existed.

I find them invaluable for some types of interactions (e.g. asynchronous discussion, quick research questions, committee collaboration, dissemination of information...).

If people play nicely, you get wonderful threaded discussions that are easily parsed, delivered in a friendly variety of ways (single messages, daily digest), and readily archived.

Sure, people have to know how to use them effectively; e.g. a proper and maintained subject line is critical.

Simply put, they work!

<std disclaimer>But of course they are but one tool in our arsenal... </std disclaimer>

Cheers,

	Hugh

Hugh Jarvis (PhD, MLS)
Cybrarian, University Communications
330 Crofts Hall -- University at Buffalo
Buffalo, NY USA 14260-7015
Ph: 716-645-5000 x1428
Fax: 716-645-6969
Email: hjarvis at buffalo.edu (preferred)

Please consider the impact to the environment before printing this e-mail.