[Web4lib] Library Purchase/Subscription For Kindle Content?

Tom Keays tomkeays.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 22:43:44 EDT 2009

Where UNE-Omaha decided against using Kindles for ILL, Brigham Young
University seems to have decided for it. From a recent Library
Journal.

Faculty members at Brigham Young University (BYU), Provo, UT, have a
new alternative to interlibrary loan (ILL): the Amazon Kindle. The
Harold B. Lee Library has purchased three ebook readers for the pilot,
expecting the items chosen to be either very new or very popular
titles—titles that in some cases the library has been unable to get
through ILL.

http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6663967.html

BTW, I have the Kindle IPhone/iPod app myself and agree with your
assessment of it. It is the best e-book reader software I've used
(including other ebook readers on the iPod Touch and, further back,
Palm Reader on a Tungsten III) mainly because of the ease of
purchasing content. It has a readable screen even in bright light.