[Web4lib] Labeling on Websites (electronic resources)

John Kupersmith jkup at jkup.net
Mon Jun 8 12:29:51 EDT 2009

There are not many published terminology-related usability studies
from public libraries. This is not to disparage public libraries; I
worked in one for several years and have the highest respect for them.
It's just a different culture in terms of publishing.

Here are two sources that might be of interest:

Johnson County Library, Kansas
< http://www.jocolibrary.org/ >
uses "Research" leading to a hybrid subject/format menu.
They've posted some really exemplary documentation online:
< http://www.jocolibrary.org/usability >
see also:
Erica Reynolds, "The Secret to Patron-Centered Web Design: Cheap,
Easy, and Powerful Usability Techniques", Computers in Libraries (June
2008), 6-8, 44-47.

MINITEX/Minnesota State Library Standards Review Task Force
Library Web Site Terminology: Interim Minnesota Guidelines
< www.minitex.umn.edu/committees/standards/documents/terminology/ >
This 2005-06 survey was done through "more than 50 academic, public,
state government, regional library system, and school media center web
sites", and got responses from over 5000 public library users. They
found that "In most cases, the two major response groups (academic and
public library users) agreed on their preferred answer." However, this
survey didn't include a general electronic resources or subject guides
question.

As a top-level label for a public library, I think "Research your
topic" as used at the Cheshire Library
< http://www.cheshirelibrary.org >
may be worth testing, to see whether it does indeed get users moving
in the right direction. The verb phrase, the personal pronoun, and the
target word "topic" all seem like good elements here.

Some posts in this thread mentioned my "Library Terms That Users
Understand" website
< http://www.jkup.net/terms.html >

I'm glad folks are finding it useful, agree that it's a data resource
but not a "cookbook", and also acknowledge it hasn't been
significantly updated since 2006 (the latest studies excerpted in the
main table are actually from 2005). In this area, I think older data
are still useful. However, the site does present itself as a
"clearinghouse", which implies that some "clearing" is going on! So,
when time permits, I will either update it or repackage it as a
one-time compilation.

--jk
John Kupersmith
Reference Librarian, Doe/Moffitt Libraries
University of California, Berkeley
jkup at jkup.net