[Web4lib] OPAC outputs in JSON - adding opac results to google

Aaron Tay aarontay at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 10:35:48 EDT 2009

Hi

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 9:56 PM, Rosenberger, Luke E <rosenberger at uthscsa.edu
> wrote:

> I believe that NCSU's CatalogWS Web API to their Endeca-based search may
> also offer JSON as an output format.  Here's the general documentation
> for the API (which doesn't mention JSON):
>
> http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/catalog/ws/documentation/search.html
>
> ...but here's a SlideShare presentation by Emily Lynema from code4lib
> 2007 which mentions on slide 10 that "json" could be used as an option
> for the "output" parameter:
>
> http://www.slideshare.net/eby/free-the-data-creating-a-web-services-inte
> rface-to-the-online-catalog<http://www.slideshare.net/eby/free-the-data-creating-a-web-services-inte%0Arface-to-the-online-catalog>

You are right. It works. I don't know why it didn't when I tried yesterday.
Thanks a lot!

> Very interesting idea you've got there, Aaron... I'd love to hear more
> as it develops.

I will give it a go, but my skill with Javascript really sucks, so if anyone
can quickly figure out how to adapt the Greasemonkey script at
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/43451  to take the json output from

http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/catalogws/?service=search&query=deforestation&output=jsonand
show it on top of Google searches, I would be forever grateful to you.